Recently, I had the great honor of hosting a surprise baby shower for a very dear friend. On the morning of the event, I felt like a child on Christmas Eve - giddy with excitement - awaiting the anticipation of what Santa might bring. Only this time, I was the one delivering the surprise (along with help of many friends.) We joyously gathered in my living room awaiting the arrival of our guest of honor - and boy did we get her good! It was truly a magical day.
Tips for Invoking Event Magic:
- Think about your guest of honor. What are her likes / dislikes? Does she have something special planned for the new baby's nursery? What personal elements can you add the party to make it uniquely special to her? In this instance it was all about wonder.
- How do you want your guests to feel? This might be one of the most important questions to answer, as it sets the tone for the entire event. Key feelings: welcome, wowed, connected, and comfortable.
- It's all about flow of the space. The guest room housed the coats. Make your own mimosas were setup in the kitchen and the dining room table displayed help-yourself-nibbles and a beautiful cake.
- You set the tone. If guests arrive and see a calm, cool, and collected host, the event will go off without a hitch. Focus on the element of party planning you love best and hire out the rest. Major shout out to Easy Entertaining for making the food prep extremely easy, beautiful, and DELICIOUS - and to Bethany Wardyga for the exquisite cake, cupcakes, and cookie favors! (You completely out did yourself, my friend.) :)
- The magic is in the details. Carry out the theme. Start with the invitations, and continue with the decorations, plates, napkins, cups - and flowers in every room.
- And of course, do not forget the fun! Whether you create party games or a silly contest, put something together that will engage your guests. And, always, always, always have prizes on hand.
Photos taken by the one-and-only Brittanny Taylor
Tell me in the comments below, what do you do to create party magic?
Happy planning! Love, P